Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Balloons and Boxes

When we started packing for our move to CA the kids rediscovered their love for boxes. They will stay busy for hours whith a pile of boxes. However I could not spare any of my boxes because I needed them for packing. I had to make them take down their box town so I could finish packing and promised them they could have them when we unpacked. It was great they were in box heaven when we did finally move into the house. For a several days they were busy constructing a town and a rockband complete with guitars and a drum set. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I didn't think about it until yesterday when I was disassembling it for the recycling bin. There was lots of packing and colored electrical tape used for guitar straps and decoration. They have no idea what I have done to their creations. Where does one keep a cardboard set of instruments?

The other simple pleasure they have recently rediscovered is the ballon. Taj bought a balloon kit that teaches you how to make balloon animals and lots of other balloon creations. The kids spent several days constructing hats, poodles, flowers and so on. They even made up their own creations. I even contemplated hiring them out for parties! But I again was asking myself "Where does one put all of these lovely creations?" I then popped them all and put them in the garbage. I know I'm evil. They have been laying around in a box for at least three weeks so their time was over.

My point to all this is this. Kids, no matter the age be it 1 or 11 have more fun whith open ended creative play than they do with any expensive noisy toy you can buy them. Even if they end up in the garbage when we are tired of finding them strewn about the house. So if you are having company and you want to keep your kids busy and quiet in the other room your list of supplies is as follows. boxes, packing tape, markers, pillows and blankets, ballons. put some food in there too and you wont see them for days.



Do I hear an Amen?

No comments: